Do you have any old friends you wish you could meet up with again?
I miss Megan. Not sure how we fell apart.
If you joined a rock band what position would you want?
HAHAHA. Lead singer & keyboard player. ;)
Do you know your own worth?
If you were designing your own fragrance to represent you, what would you call it?
What did you do for your 21st birthday?
My best friend Sam took me out to Aggieville (what else do you do in MHK?)
What is something that gave you buyer's remorse?
Every time I shop at Marshall's! lol
Do you know how to jump rope?
When it's your birthday do you always wear a birthday hat?
I try not to. But I don't mind for other people's birthdays.
Have you ever been to Legoland?
NO BUT I WANT TO
What is your favorite ride at any amusement park?
The Sizzler at the Marshall Co Fair
Describe your most independent decision or moment without others' influence?
Getting my nose piercing on Dec 31st, 2009 / Going to New York for 3 months in 2008
Have you ever made a scrapbook for yourself or someone else, what was in it?
No, but I cherish the scrapbook my mother-in-law made for my wedding photos
Do you think a full moon can have an effect on a person?
In a relationship do you believe in joint or separate bank accounts?
Do you think friends make better lovers or that friends should never cross that line?
I believe in every relationship beginning with friendship.
If you lost everything you worked for tomorrow, what's the first step in starting over?
Finding a reason to get up in the morning. Finding a reason to put one foot in front of the other. Living 10 seconds at a time.
Something you believe in that others think is not real.
Tarot? But I use it for journaling and creative writing, not predication.
What social media platform are you most active on?
Facebook / Twitter / Instagram
What's the simplest way you have fun?
Watching Martin & Lewis on YouTube
What is your favorite personality trait you like about yourself?
My easily-amused sense of humor
Does the sight of blood make you queasy?
What makes you feel unstoppable?
Do you think you need to slow down and enjoy life more?
Slow down? No. Enjoy life more? Yes.
How do you cope with loss or death?
Honestly? Avoidance. Crying a lot.
What book from your childhood would you want to read to your children?
No children, but, Winnie the Pooh
What moment from your life would you love to live over and over?
Wedding night sex *blush*
What news story are you tired of hearing about?
Anything validating #45
How did you meet your significant other?
We were in a band together
Who made the worst first impression on you but then later became your friend?
Honestly, the opposite happens more often. I thought someone was OK but they turned out to be evil.
Have you ever slept outdoors?
I've napped on top of a hay bale...? lol
Megan or Kayela
First crush was a cowboy, first celebrity crush Jim Craig / Tom Burlinson in "The Man From Snowy River"
First record / CD bought
Jennifer Knapp - Kansas
First foreign holiday
Norway when I was 7
General office lackey at a recording studio
'97 Dodge Dakota
Rebecca St. James
on Manhattan Hill when I was 21
my mother, first music teacher was my piano teacher Loretta Petr
First alcoholic drink
Bacardi & Coke in Budapest at 19
What common pitfalls do you find yourself dealing with in your work life?
Do you tend to follow your heart or your head?
Wish I followed my head, probably follow my heart too much
What celebrity or TV show in your opinion set a bad example for youth today?
I've never even seen it, but gonna go ahead & say "Keeping Up with the Kardashians"
How do you feel about jazz music, if you like it who is your favorite?
I love jazz! #1 fav who comes to mind is Cecile McLorin Salvant. (Plus all the great classics, natch.)
Have you even been diagnosed with something that's challenged you, if so what?
My diagnoses of depression and anxiety challenge me daily
What is your favorite precious stone?
My birthstone, ruby
If you had your perfect dream house, what kind of tree/s would you want in your yard?
Catalpa and weeping willow
Describe your "poker face."
I have none.
If happiness were the national currency, what kind of work would make you rich?
Reading & drinking (tea! I mean... tea?)
Do you keep up with current events, why or why not?
I try to; I listen to NPR / BBC World News daily. I think it's important to be informed.
Did you ever have a mean nickname that kids called you, one you didn't like?
Not kids; hated when adults sang "Chantilly Lace" at me.
What childhood dreams have you neglected?
I should maintain my piano skills better. Also, I LOVED writing as a child; struggle with it today.
Do you ever compare your life to anyone else's, if so who?
There is a certain local female musician who makes me feel inadequate, as much as I admire her. Also, instagram celebrities in general make me feel slimy.
What's the craziest thing you've done in a car?
Been kissed while driving.
What's something weird you do before bedtime?
On my phone too much? I don't know!
Favorite song: “Without a Soul” - Nicole Byblow
Favorite book: Once on a Time (A. A. Milne), Sherlock Holmes
Favorite movie/TV show/miniseries: “Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell”
Favorite childhood TV show: Wishbone, Bill Nye the Science Guy
Favorite composer: Gustav Mahler
Favorite educational video: Leonard Bernstein Norton Lectures "The Unanswered Question: Six Talks at Harvard"
Favorite audiobook narrator: Stephen Fry
Favorite comedian: Dean Martin & Jerry Lewis
Favorite graphic novel: Agatha Heterodyne Girl Genius
Favorite meal: sushi or manicotti or steak
Favorite candy: toffee, anything peppermint
Favorite ice cream: Ben & Jerry’s Cinnamon Buns
Favorite perfume: Chanel Chance
Favorite dog breed: corgi
Favorite big cat: tiger
Favorite animal at the zoo: penguins
Favorite pizza topping: chicken + red onion + pineapple
Favorite tipple: a Manhattan
Favorite cartoon: The Amazing World of Gumball
Favorite Actor/Actress: Cary Grant, Judy Garland
Favorite musical: West Side Story, The Scarlet Pimpernel
Favorite city: New York City
Favorite color: pink
Favorite car: Chrysler Crossfire, 1967 Impala
Favorite soda: Vanilla Coke
Favorite cereal: Cinnamon Toast Crunch
Favorite quote: For a person remains of consequence not so far as he leaves something behind him but so far as he acts and enjoys, and rouses others to action and enjoyment. -Goethe
Favorite magazine: English Home
Favorite season: summer
Favorite candle scent: coconut milk mango
Favorite flower: red geranium, lilac, lily of the valley, violet
Favorite coffee order: peppermint breve or cold brew with cream
Wuthering Heights - Emily Bronte
Songwriting Without Boundaries - Pat Pattison
Writing Better Lyrics - Pat Pattison
Last Call - Daniel Okrent
The Left Brain Speaks, The Right Brain Laughs - Ransom Stephens
Strong Poison - Dorothy L Sayers Walking in this World - Julia Cameron
Creative Recovery - Eric Maisel & Susan Raeburn
Make Peace with Your Mind: How Mindfulness and Compassion Can Free You from Your Inner Critic - Mark Coleman
Why Smart People Hurt - Eric Maisel
How to Write Short: Word Craft for Fast Times by Roy Peter Clark
Make Your Creative Dreams Real by SARK
- North by Northwest (DVD, starring Cary Grant)
- Amelia's Family Ties - Marrisa Moss
- Prozac Nation - Elizabeth Wurtzel
- The Midnight Raymond Chandler
- The Bell Jar - Sylvia Plath
- Daniel Deronda - George Eliot
- The China Governess - Margery Allingham
- The Artist's Way - Julia Cameron
- The Angels of Darkness - Caleb Carr
- Seven Types of Ambiguity - Elliot Perlman
- The New York Times Menu Cookbook
- Awakening to the Spirit World - Sandra Ingerman & Hank Wesselman
- Handbook for the Soul - Richard Charlson and Bejamin Sheild, editors
- The Tenth Power - Kate Constable
- Pirate King - Laurie R King
- Folly - Laurie R King
- Creating Women: An Anthology of Readings on Women in Western Culture vols. I & II
- African Pygmy Hedgehogs As Your new Peg
- The Best of Bon Apetit
- The Virtues of War - Steven Pressfield
- The Facts of Life and Other Dirty Jokes - Willie Nelson
- Eat, Pray, Love - Elizabeth Gilbert
- Music & Society: The Later Writings of Paul Honigsheim
- Eye of the Crow (The Boy Sherlock Holmes) - Shane Peacock
- Danton: A Life (The Giant of the French Revolution) - David Lawday
- Barbra - Christopher Andersen
- Rag and Bone - Peter Manseau
- Strange Candy - Laurell K Hamilton
- The Go-Girl Guide - Bourland
- The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Society - Mary Ann Shaffer and Annie Barrows
- Salad Gardens - Luebermann
- The Incredible Incas and Their Timeless Land
- Music and Mantras: The Yoga of Mindful Singing for Health, Happiness, Peace & Prosperity by Girish, Rolf Gates
- You Are Enough: How To Elevate Your Thoughts, Align Your Energy & Get Out of the Comparison Trap by Cassie Mendoza-Jones
- The Mind-Gut Connection: How the Hidden Conversation Within Our Bodies Impacts Our Mood, Our Choices, and Our Overall Health by Emeran Mayer
- Steering by Starlight: The Science and Magic of Finding Your Destiny by Beck PhD, Martha
- Judgment Detox: Release the Beliefs That Hold You Back from Living A Better Life by Gabrielle Bernstein
- Dark Mirror: The Pathology of the Singer-Songwriter by Donald Brackett
- You Do You: How to Be Who You Are and Use What You've Got to Get What You Want (A No F*cks Given Guide) by Sarah Knight
- Zelda Fitzgerald: The Tragic, Meticulously Researched Biography of the Jazz Age's High Priestess by Sally Cline
- The Collected Writings of Zelda Fitzgerald by Zelda Fitzgerald
- Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler
- Something Is Always On Fire: My Life So Far by Measha Brueggergosman
- Witches, Sluts, Feminists: Conjuring the Sex Positive by Kristen J. Sollee
- Warrior Goddess Training: Become the Woman You Are Meant to Be by HeatherAsh Amara
- Saturn Returns: Thinking Astrologically by Tom Jacobs
- The Dark Side of the Light Chasers by Deborah Ford
- Finding Your Own North Star: Claiming the Life You Were Meant to Live by Martha Beck
- Buddhist Scriptures (Penguin Classics) by Donald Lopez
- The Ode Less Travelled: Unlocking the Poet Within by Stephen Fry
- Post-Traumatic Church Syndrome: One Woman's Desperate, Funny, and Healing Journey to Explore 30 Religions by Her 30th Birthday by Reba Riley
- Breaking Up with God: A Love Story by Sarah Sentilles
- Feminine Endings: Music, Gender, and Sexuality by Susan Mcclary
- At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails with Jean-Paul Sartre, Simone de Beauvoir,Albert Camus, Martin Heidegger, Maurice Merleau-Ponty and Others by Sarah Bakewell
- Shakti Woman: Feeling Our Fire, Healing Our World by Vicki Noble
- Wild Tales: A Rock & Roll Life by Graham Nash
- Rise Sister Rise: A Guide to Unleashing the Wise, Wild Woman by Rebecca Campbell
- Own Your Glow: A Soulful Guide to Luminous Living and Crowning by Latham Thomas
- Origin: A Novel by Dan Brown
- The Shadow Effect: Illuminating the Hidden Power of Your True Self by Deepak Chopra and Marianne Williamson
- Beyond the Self: Conversations Between Buddhism and Neuroscience (MIT Press) by Matthieu Ricard and Wolf Singer
- Buddha's Brain: The Practical Neuroscience of Happiness, Love, and Wisdom by Rick Hanson and Daniel J. Siegel
- How the Mind Words by Steven Pinker
- Make Your Creative Dreams Real: A Plan for Procrastinators, Perfectionists, Busy People by SARK
- How to Create a Mind: The Secret of Human Thought Revealed by Ray Kurzweil
- Joy, Guilt, Anger, Love: What Neuroscience Can--and Can't--Tell Us About How We Feel by Giovanni Frazzetto
- Consciousness and the Brain: Deciphering How the Brain Codes Our Thoughts by Stanislas Dehaene
- Mind: A Journey to the Heart of Being Human (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology) by Daniel J. Siegel
- The Mind Club: Who Thinks, What Feels, and Why It Matters by Daniel M. Wegner, Kurt Gray
- The Tides of Mind: Uncovering the Spectrum of Consciousness by David Gelernter
- The Sun & Her Flowers by Rupi Kaur
- Magic and Music : The Language of the Gods Revealed by Juanita S. Wescott
In no particular order...
- Aubrey Logan - Impossible
- Camille - Oui
- Sarah Slean - Metaphysics
- Jennifer Knapp - Love Comes Back Around
- Bjork - Utopia
- Dhani Harrison - In///Parallel
- Kate Dowman - Whispering Tides
- Halsey - hopeless fountain kingdom
- Cécile McLorin Salvant — Dreams and Daggers
- Lucky Soul — Hard Lines
- Viva Trio — Nothing Else Matters
- Alice Francis — Electric Shock
- Carly Paoli — Singing My Dreams
- Nolwenn Leroy - Gemme
- Brigitte - Nues
Bonus: Older albums I discovered in 2017
- Dorothy — ROCKISDEAD
- Ivy Levan — No Good
Here's a little peek at what I asked Santa for this year!
[Left to right, top to bottom]
- Sprouted Kitchen cookbook
- QI DVD set
- "Leatherbound" tea blend
- SodaStream Jet
- "Cool Story, Poe" mug
- "The Leonard Bernstein Letters" book
- "Secret Gardens of the Cotswolds" book
- Danielle LaPorte Desire Map 2018 Daily Planner
- Remi - "Into My Imagination" CD